Welcome to the laboratories of the future
Multidisciplinary laboratories are a global trend
The COVID-19 pandemicCovid-19 in 2020 has most clearly shown the crucial importance of operating modern, technologically advanced diagnostic laboratories. Laboratóriá MEDIREX GROUP laboratories represent Medirex, a.s. a Medicyt, s.r.o. companies. In their laboratory facilities, they examine samples of biological material such as blood, urine, swabs, cytological smears or aspirates and biopsy specimen from clinics all over Slovakia. We provide our services to physicians helping them establish the correct diagnosis of their patients and monitor the progress of treatment. At the same time, our sample collection centers bring a wide range of tests directly to patients if they desire to be tested without a physician's indication.
Under one roof, we bring together experts across all disciplines in laboratory medicine – clinical biochemistry, hematology, clinical immunology, toxicology, medical genetics, bacteriology, mycology, parasitology, serology, virology, molecular biology, cytology, biopsy diagnostics and environmental microbiology. This enables us to provide a comprehensive portfolio of laboratory diagnostic services.
Our state-of-the-art central laboratories represent the largest laboratory facility not only in Slovakia but also in Central and Eastern Europe. They are located in Bratislava, Nitra and Košice. Our labs operate automatic lines with a robotic system for sample analysis representing a truly unique, one-of-a-kind piece of equipment in a global perspective. This enables testing of thousands of blood samples daily, so that our staff can devote as much time as possible to more demanding professional activity. We use state-of-the-art diagnostic technology, such as MALDI-TOF in microbiology to identify microorganisms or NGS (next generation sequencing) and arrayCGH in medical genetics, computer-assisted microscopy in cytological diagnostics (both conventional and LBC), liquid and gas chromatography, including mass spectrometry in biochemistry and toxicology etc.
An essential and integral part of our operation are the smaller branch laboratories operating in hospitals and polyclinics across the country. They are located to be close to both physicians and patients. Hospital laboratories operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They carry out all urgent examinations and tests often under life-threatening conditions within a few minutes. We provide biopsy and cytology diagnostic services for clinics of university and faculty hospitals, including perioperative biopsies.
„Up to 70% of the information necessary to determine a diagnosis or manage patients' treatment comes from laboratory diagnostics. We are often literally invisible to the actual patient, but the work of our laboratories is absolutely essential for establishing a correct diagnosis,“ explains the director of the laboratory division of MEDIREX GROUP, Ing. Jozef Gavlas, MSc.
Our drivers transport the biological material to the laboratories under strict safety precautions. We examine samples from 30,000 patients and deliver up to 250,000 results to physicians every single day. Our priority is to deliver high-quality laboratory diagnostics serving as the bedrock for the prevention of multiple diseases, which is indispensable and fundamental in the process of diagnosing the disease and treating the patient. We employ top Slovak experts, who lead their respective teams comprising a large number of skilled and competent staff. This ensures highly professional evaluation of results.
At the same time, Medirex is the only laboratory that performs as many as 2 different methods of non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT). In addition to our proprietary TRISOMY test, we also examine samples using the Harmony test. We are one of the few laboratories in Europe that can provide 2 different NIPT methodologies in one workplace, while each of the methods is based on a different diagnostic procedure.
We participate in science and research
We cooperate with the largest Slovak universities and leading science-and-research institutions. We actively support science and biomedical research - as one of the results, we proudly present the TRISOMY test, a unique Slovak methodology for the detection of trisomies such as Down, Patau and Edwards syndrome as well as other genetic disorders of the fetus made from a sample the future mother's blood starting from the 10th week of pregnancy. We are constantly involved in the development of new non-invasive diagnostic methods and through our laboratories, we bring them into clinical practice making them available for all patients.
We actively participate in the education and training of new professionals. In cooperation with Comenius University in Bratislava and UPJŠ in Košice, we participate in undergraduate and postgraduate education by teaching the students of medical and science faculties directly at our facilities.
We do care about the future and development of laboratory diagnostics.
We organize professional conferences and publish content in renowned journals
- We hold conferences where experts from all over Slovakia discuss interesting, rare or unique cases from their practice.
- We regularly publish the results of our work in peer-reviewed scientific publications.
- Our experts regularly give lectures at domestic and international events, where they publish their own research results or statistical data from their practice.
Key facts about MEDIREX GROUP laboratories
- We are the largest provider of laboratory diagnostic services in Slovakia.
- We are the leader in the digitalization of laboratory diagnostics.
- Moreover, we are one of the largest providers of laboratory diagnostic services in the Czech Republic (through SpadiaLab, our subsidiary).
- We have been on the laboratory diagnostics market for almost 20 years.
- We operate 3 central laboratories - in Bratislava (4,500 m2), Košice (3,300 m2) and Nitra (3,000 m2) with automatic lines, which are truly exceptional in domestic as well as international context.
- In addition to 3 central laboratory facilities, we operate 12 hospital laboratories, 3 cytology and biopsy laboratories as well as 20 sample collection points and centers for patients.
- We cooperate with the largest hospitals in Slovakia:
- University Hospital with Polyclinic in Bratislava,
- L. Pasteur University Hospital with Polyclinic in Košice,
- Children's University Hospital in Košice,
- East Slovak Institute of Oncology in Košice,
- J.A. Reimann University Hospital with Polyclinic in Prešov,
- University Hospital with the Polyclinic of the Brothers of Saint John of God in Bratislava,
- Hospital of St. Michal in Bratislava,
- Faculty Hospital in Trenčín.
- We also cooperate with more than 3,500 private medical offices and specialized clinics throughout Slovakia.
We are part of – Limbach Gruppe, the largest provider of laboratory diagnostic services in Europe operating laboratories in more than 15 countries together with its partners.
Medirex and Medicyt are contractual partners of all health insurance companies in Slovakia.
From a small laboratory to the leading provider in Central and Eastern Europe
The story of Medirex laboratories dates back to 2001, when we received the very first sample in our small laboratory located in Bratislava's district of Karlova Ves. At that time, we were able to examine the basic biochemical and hematological parameters in our facility. Gradually, there came other important milestones and over time, Medirex developed into the most technologically advanced laboratories in Central and Eastern Europe, as well as a sought-after employer with more than 1,100 staff.